The interactive features of the ModeWheel application enable you to
- Choose any of four families of scales (Major, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, and Harmonic Major)
- “Spin” the outer wheel to select any of the seven modes of that scale
- “Spin” the middle wheel to change the tonic note to any chosen key
- Visualize the notes of that scale on a piano keyboard
- Sound the notes of that scale using built-in sampled piano audioclips, with each note highlighted on the keyboard as it is played
- Identify and play a simple II-V-I progression of seventh chords (in root position), sounded either as chords or as arpeggios
- Options to adjust the tempo, rhythm, and octaves for playback of the scale and to adjust the tempo and rhythm of the arpeggiated chords.
- The scale steps of the chosen mode and its root seventh chord are displayed, with alterations from the basic scale marked in color.
- The program menus identify computer keyboard shortcuts to minimize the need to use a mouse/trackpad to trigger most basic options
This two-minute videoclip highlights the features of ModeWheel.